Thursday, April 26, 2018

Week 69-#Because of Him

Dear friends and family,
This has been an eventful week for shizzle.
Firstly, N did not get baptized on Saturday due to word of wisdom issues she is now experiencing due to the stress of her new job. The good news is, she should be quitting that job so she won't be so stressed. She is doing alright, just disappointed in herself. So extra prayers for her would be much appreciated.
Secondly, MADISON LEE HAMILTON is now your newest RM and arrived home safe and sound, bless her heart. I am forever grateful for her good thoughts, her humor, and her commitment to the Lord. 
Thirdly, I got my new companion! Her name is Sister Ekberg, and she is 5'10"! We were all a little nervous because N said she didn't know how she felt about having a new sister missionary, but she LOVES Sister Ekberg. It cracks her up that I'm so short and she's so tall:) She's like, "She can be your bodyguard!" It was funny.
Fourthly, literally everyone we've been working with in recent times is like, "Hey I want to be baptized." Remember K last week? Well, this week, Sister Ekberg had been here for literally 4 hours and we got a call from Sister B informing us that A had called and told her that he wanted to get baptized. I don't know what's in the water here. Just kidding, I do know what's in the water. THEY are in the water. But I don't know why this is happening. But I am super glad it is. This week we had 2 separate talks, one with A, one with K, that were basically like, "So...you want to get baptized?" K was like, "Yeah, God told me to and I'm really not that sure why but I'll do it because I love God." She talked about how her faith in Church-specific things is not particularly strong, but she is willing to do what she is asked to do. It's going to be cool when she starts to see the changes that come when you do what the Lord wants you to do!
Anthony's lesson went really well. E (his member girlfriend) invited her best friend and her boyfriend to the lesson/birthday dinner for A and that was good. She was not super interested, but HE really was feeling the Spirit and didn't want to leave even though they had to leave early. Because he recognized the truth, people. We basically asked A why he wants to be baptized and he said that he has begun to see all the pieces coming together in his life not as mere coincidences, but as the hand of God. He loves praying and receiving answers to prayers. We told him he needs to attend church the rest of his life and he was like, "yeah, I know. Pretty excited to go to church back home in Chicago." And he's totally going to BYU for graduate school!!! So we can be homies 4 lyfe!! So we put him on date for May 25th and he is pumped. And so are we.
Lastly, I got a phone call from my dear mission president this Thursday that my Grandpa Pew passed away sort of unexpectedly. I say sort of because he was pretty old so it wasn't like a HUGE surprise. It was kind of a nutso day so I didn't have time to super process it. I did get to call my parents and talk to them about it, and also I got a blessing from one of the elders.
He was and is a very good man. He was smart. He raised 8 good kids. He didn't like it when you left the door open, but he always liked to hear you sing, to tickle you, or to tease you. He served -- in the Air Force, as a father, in the church. He was at every play, every priesthood ordination, and every family party. He was quick to ask for blessings.
When my mission president called me and told me the news, I was surprised and sad. But this whole time I have been really kind of surprised with how good I feel. How much peace I have. And how much hope as well. At least from me, there was no bargaining, no depression, and no anger. I have learned that I am not to instruct God on His obligations to me or to any of His children. I simply feel that he has gone beyond the fluttering curtain of death. It's a very thin curtain, and I'm standing far away so that I cannot touch it, to pull it back, to see him. But the outline of him, even from this distance, is pretty clear. At this distance it is hard to focus on him, but the longer I look, the clearer he is. I know he is there, and he hasn't gone far. And I'm sure, because I've felt it, that he is closer than I think he is.
My mission teaches me a new thing every day, but one of the most valuable lessons that I have learned is this: "Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me." (D&C 19:27) My knowledge of the Savior, and my ability to recognize His words, has increased dramatically. And I have found peace. Life will be hard; there are going to be joys and sadnesses, pain and relief. But no matter your circumstance, no matter your lot, the more you understand the Savior, the more you follow Him, you will be gifted with peace. 
I feel as though my relationship with God and with Christ is so limited and it's frustrating. My spirit feels the separation keenly - I often talk about "heavenly homesickness", which is just my mortal understanding of the desire my eternal being has to draw nearer to the Savior.
But even though I know my relationship with Heavenly Father needs deepening and strengthening, I feel incredibly blessed to be the recipient of peace. That peace is because I know my Redeemer lives. I know that the sting of death can be relieved by Him. I know that death is not the end; I know that somewhere my grandpa lives on, serves on, and blesses on. I know that he will be with me as I try to do the Lord's work. I am not worried about him.
Everyone, please: come to know your Savior. It is the only thing that can help us through the storms of life.
I love you all! It may be hard, but it's also super duper worth it. I don't just say that to say it. It's true.
Don't let the muggles get you down!
-Sister Pew


with Sister Hamilton and someone they are teaching and their friends

Sister Hamilton & Sister Innes

Preparation Day

3 missionaries who are going home- their "funeral" 
Exchanges

New companion and exchanges

No comments:

Post a Comment