Friday, October 13, 2017

Week 42 - ¡Jesús es mi luz!

Hello all! This week was crazy. Like extra a lot crazy. Oh man.
I believe I wrote about Monday last week, so we can start with Tuesday. Which was the day the mission drastically changed. Like, so much. For starters, as many of you are aware, we have become a Facebook mission. I kind of like it and kind of don't. It's nice to be able to use another tool to help with missionary work and it's really convenient for us to stay in contact with the people we know here, but I DONT NEED TO SEE THE POLITICS OR THE NEWS OR EVERYONES FREAKING WEDDING PICTURES (although all y'all do look great). I am allowed to talk to you directly if you have any missionary stuff to tell me, like if you read a cool scripture you want me to share or whatnot. So shoot me a message, share conference talks with me, and help us here in SC to turn Facebook into the flood of inspiration and positivity that it was created to be.  We were also informed that we are one of 12 missions selected to be the piloters of a new finding program. We don't know the details, but I will keep you informed on how it works as additional information becomes available. AND our area book app updated and everything is so weird. You guys, just when I thought I was getting the hang of all this organizational stuff, they throw this in here. This isn't even the first time. Remember the schedule change like a month into my mission? I swear the missionary department of the Church just hates me. (Definitely a joke. They're too nice.) That night we went to the church to set up our Facebook accounts, but we ended up running into one of the YSA elders' recent converts, so we just talked to him until like 8. (Side note - one of the YSA elders is Elder Spencer Thomas, formerly of some mission in Kenya or something, but he's been reassigned here. Remember the LDS Face2Face with Elder Bednar? Elder Thomas was one of the youth hosts for that one, along with my friend Abby. Go watch it!) Then we went out finding. It was great. We stayed out until 9pm and it was dark and sketch. Awesome.
Wednesday we actually set up our Facebook accounts and that was weird. We also went finding a lot and had Book of Mormon class. Luckily the Rs were there so we were able to actually have class. Also, we had ward coordination with Brother A and I am convinced that he is the funniest person ever. We told him about all the new stuff.
Thursday we had MMA in the morning and then we went over to see D We mainly just talked to him this time instead of arguing. We also met this cute old guy trying to find a former investigator. He was out in his wheelchair on his driveway and we stopped and had a nice chat with him about God and happiness. Hopefully we'll be getting back there soon.
Friday we went out with Sister F to a place called Strawberry Hill, which I swear is the cutest place ever in the whole world. I think I need to move there. It's basically a ginormous farm. We went to visit a shut-in member. She was sweet and a little Pentecostal which is actually probably my favorite thing. So much evangelical zeal. She recently had surgery and basically told all her doctors and nurses that the second coming is near and they need to shape up. Afterwards, though, was less fun. Since our area book app updated itself WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE so we had to figure that out, and then I started feeling really nauseous all of a sudden right before we had to go to a lesson with J. We nearly cancelled except then a thought popped into my head: "This is Satan. Satan doesn't want you to go teach J." So I was like, "Whatever Satan" and we went anyway. Miracles? When we got to him, all nausea disappeared. God is real, folks. And during J's lesson (at his gym) one of the students' moms came in and started talking with us...turns out she's a less active that we didn't even have on record! So definitely Satan was trying to keep us from seeing J and meeting her as well. He's the worst guy.
Saturday we were able to attend the International Festival of Spartanburg. It's where a bunch of people get together and sell foods from other countries and have booths that explain the demographics and stuff (which is totally right up my alley because I love travel and other cultures so I was dying). I had this really cool experience where I was talking to a Chinese lady about China and she just all of a sudden really searched me. Like, she looked deeply into my eyes and saw my soul. My companion was leaving, but I smiled at her, thanked her, and told her I hoped to make it to China someday. I hope that even though my time with her was very limited, she'll remember how she felt when she looked into my eyes and saw the Light of Christ and felt the Spirit of the Lord. It was special. ALSO THE FEATURED COUNTRY THIS YEAR WAS FINLAND SO SHOUTOUT TO DADDYKINS
Sunday was fast and testimony meeting, so I bore my testimony. All the lessons were on Family History and I felt pretty roasted because I have limited desire to do genealogy at this point. The teachers were basically like, "do you want to explain to your ancestors why they couldn't be baptized sooner?" And I was like, "No. I don't want to do that." So, remind me. That's like, the first thing on my list of things to do when I get home.
Well, today was also fun. We went to the zoo because it was Sister J's birthday (she is one of our STLs). We had lots of fun and went to Sticky Fingers in downtown Greenville, which is super cute and I like it a lot.
Also, speaking of birthdays. I turn twenty next P-Day, which is SO not okay. But you can't stop it. So...yeah. But anyway. For my birthday, I would like each of you to do 20 acts of service in the next week. And then tell me all about it. They don't gotta be big, and I'll do it too. But that's what you can do for me on my birthday, is serve God.
Also if you have any fun Facebook post ideas that are spiritual in nature, please let me know! 
I just absolutely love being a missionary. I have found a fullness of joy.
Never forget how loved you are.
And don't let the muggles get you down!
All my love,
Sister Pew
This actual from the week before, I forgot to post. We didn't get any photos this week so just as well. They are watching General Conference at a members' home.

No comments:

Post a Comment