Friday, January 20, 2017

Week 4 Baby's One Month Old

Hello dear ones!
This week was pretty crazyyyyyy.
Um. Monday was good. We went shopping! It was pretty fun. We also wrote emails and it took me 5ever. That night we taught V the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She's the best ever. More on her later. 
Tuesday was the hardest day of my whole mission. Nobody answered the door all day. We talked to this very nice Baptist man on a street corner who was so genuinely worried about us because we're Mormon girls and Mormons believe in polygamy...and he wouldn't listen to us when we told him that we ARE Mormon and I GREW UP IN UTAH AND I have never met a polygamist in my lifetime...and so, and I quote, he said, "it just hurts my heart to know that anybody so nice as you ladies is going to hell." !!! It happened. I hadn't even been in South Carolina for a week, and some guy is telling me I'm going to hell. But that's not even the best part of it. He was so kind, truly. So genuinely concerned and sad. And he looked right into my eyes and asked me why he couldn't enter the temple as an unbaptized member. He didn't really let me answer, but I knew it didn't really matter what I told him about the sacredness of temples. He wasn't going to believe me. We didn't bash with him; Sister Hansen testified of Christ and His love, and he agreed with us there. Then...I may or may not have thanked him for his concern for us, even though he barely knew us, and I may or may not have also started crying. As in, I was bawling. Sister Hansen was dying. She thought it was so funny. My tears are just not shy at all. But anyways, that experience definitely taught me a lot about the South. The people here in the bible belt love Jesus, and love talking about Him, and believe what they believe just as strongly as we believe what we do. They don't think that they need to change. It's a challenge for sure, but that's okay.
Wednesday was so great. We tried to visit lots of people who didn't answer, and I was on edge all day because we were going to teach V the Word of Wisdom in the evening. But guess what? She swanned on by. Without a whisper. Without a second glance. Just, "I wouldn't have ever thought coffee and tea!" But she accepted it so quick, and is working on quitting smoking. ALSO she has been having a lot of tooth pain so we brought over Brother T and Brother A to give her a blessing. She said that it was the best thing ever, and that she felt it in her whole body. Brother T gave the blessing to her and she didn't even tell him what was up. He just knew.  And Brother A said that everything he said was in his mind before Brother T said it. The priesthood is the power of God.
Thursday was a pretty slow day - we did weekly planning and cleaned our car and met a ne2 investigator. 
Friday we had ZTM (zone training meeting), and I had to play the piano last minute...which was kinda fun. We were committed by our zone leaders to do 3 things- 1) don't leave an area until you figure out why you're there,  2) teach toward a commitment, and 3) replace unfocused thoughts with something meaningful. Solid advice. Then we went and taught V the law of Chastity,  and....she's willing to live that too. She wants to get baptized so bad. The problem is, she lives with her boyfriend and doesn't have a job, so he supports her and her daughter. He's totally willing to "let her" get baptized, but he won't marry her until they've been dating 3 years, and they've been dating for 1. So...she has to move out and find a job. She's willing to work and to live in separate houses from him, and has received job offers, but needs a babysitter and a place to live. So EVERYONE: IF YOU ARE READING THIS, PLEASE OFFER A PRAYER FOR THINGS TO WORK OUT FOR her SO THAT SHE CAN BE BAPTIZED FEBRUARY 4TH. We fasted yesterday to see a miracle as well. 
Saturday was a weird day, because the South, that's why. We scheduled like 4 appointments and they all fell through so we tried to contact for awhile. We met this woman S and she gave me a calancho plant because she's super nice. We said a prayer with her and it made her cry. Also, Sister Hansen miraculously healed a butterfly in her garage. Also, it was my 1 month mark! I have officially been gone a month! What the heck? Where'd the time go? I swear it was but 6 hours ago I was entering the MTC.
Yesterday, V couldn't come to church because her daughter and boyfriend were sick. But all the missionaries were called upon to give impromptu talks and I was drafted as the Relief Society pianist. Busy day. Elder M and Elder L had their investigator L come, and she's getting baptized the 28th of this month! We were also fasting for a miracle for V. 
That's really all that I can remember. It was busy and a little frustrating, but we are working and praying hard.
Some other things about the south:
-everyone is actually obsessed with grits.
-mostly everyone smokes.
-the slang is contagious.

So, I've got an accent now. Badly. I am southern. It's hilarious. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and needed to use the bathroom, and I couldn't find the light switch in there. So I was feeling around the wall trying to find it and knocked something down. And instead of exclaiming a normal "what was that?" I muttered to myself, "aww, shucks, where'm I at?" I am not lying. This actually happened. I am going native.

Some cute moments:
-we taught a 7 year old and her parents. She loves us. She wants to be a sister missionary when she grows up. Unfortunately, her parents do not like us.
-I got to use my floral skills! We went to a member's house and did a Book of Mormon read with them, and his wife had a vase of roses that were wilting. So I asked if I could trim and revase them, and she told me at church that they are still alive. They were so grateful for that, and it felt good to do things with flowers again.

No pictures this week - the library is closed for MLK Jr. Day.
Pray for these sweet, God-fearing, loving people.
Don't let the muggles get you down!
All my love,
Sister Pew 

No comments:

Post a Comment